This course is intended for users that are new to Vensim. Only basic computer skills are needed. No statistical or specific mathematical education is required.
This course allows the student to acquire, in a time-efficient and uncomplicated manner, knowledge in the formation and construction of dynamic models using Vensim. The course will guide students through the construction of realistic hypotheses and elaborate behavior models as well as inclusion of external data.
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the components of a complex system.
- Diagnose the natural evolution of the system under analysis.
- Create a model of the system and present it using the simulation software.
- Carry out simulations and experiment with the model.
The documentation for the course will be provided in electronic format. Vensim PLE is used during the basic course. The instructor is available to the student for any help during their studies, the support forum is also available for search and help.
Progress is continuously monitored through the completion of the different exercises and study cases.
- SYSTEM DYNAMICS
- Causal diagrams.
- Stable, unstable and oscillation in models.
- Medium term dynamics.
- CONSTRUCTION OF A MODEL
- Flow Diagrams.
- Phases in the construction of a model.
- Computer simulations.
- STUDY CASES
- Using the software.
- SIMPLE SYSTEM
- Foreseen behavior and behavior in the model.
- PRODUCTION AND INVENTORY
- From the text description to the model.
- Using Tables in non-linear relations.
- Using Delays in the models.
- PROJECT DYNAMICS
- Building a model in phases.
- The measurement units help us.
- SHORT TERM vs. LONG TERM POLICIES
- Studies in soft defined environments. To extract the data.
- Importance of the horizon of the simulation.
- Simulating different management styles.
- COMMODITY CYCLE
- To integrate several sub-models in a bigger one.
- The cause of the oscillations.
- Explanation of the results.
The total cost of the course is 250 USD. This can be purchased online at http://www.vensim.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2347
Most students will expect to complete the course in approximately four weeks. Some pauses are possible if the student justifies it for personal or professional reasons.
We offer three online courses (basic, intermediate and advanced). Click here for more information and a comparison between the courses.